Freshman Year Checklist
FRESHMAN YEAR CHECKLIST:
- Grades are critical; freshman year grades count as much toward your grade point average as your junior and senior year classes.
- Participate in high school orientation. Pick your classes wisely.
- Set an academic plan/goals for freshman year.
- Academics should be the #1 priority and focus. Over 99% of the soccer players in the US will not make a living from soccer.
- Plan your course schedule with your counselor to make sure the right classes are being taken.
- Explore possible community service opportunities (volunteer work). They look great on a resume...especially the longer term commitments.
- Help establish a balanced life to carry them through high school. Encourage:
- A healthy social life
- Good study habits
- Staying on top of homework
- A full commitment to soccer when they step on the practice and game field.
- Write a description of your “ideal” college program and start a college file that fits into your “ideal” college program.
- Set individual athletic goals for the summer (number of practice hours, achievements, etc.).
- Set academic plan for sophomore year.
- Take time to visit near-by colleges when playing in soccer tournaments.
- Review progress at various points during the year.